Monday, November 28, 2011

The most delicious day of the year

We celebrated thanksgiving alone this year. I was excited for the challenge of creating the feast, and surprisingly it wasn't too much of a challenge cooking for just the two of us. Our small turkey cooked in just over 1.5 hours and was the best turkey that Alli or I had ever eaten (sorry moms)...it was awesome with its crisp skins and super moist meats. I don't think Alli stuffed her plate full enough. Notice there's no stuffing there? She doesn't like stuffing. I knew she was weird when I married her, but come on who doesn't like stuffing? Luckily I like stuffing enough to finish off a whole box in a few days.
We got a $20 voucher from Alli's work to buy a turkey. We found this 8.5 pound turkey at Walmart for $10, so we were able to use the remaining money to buy the rest of our supplies for the meal. A whole thanksgiving feast for free!
Surprisingly this turkey didn't last as long as we feared it might. We finished off half the meat the next day and then I made turkey noodle soup with the rest the day after that. I also froze the carcass to use to make a luscious base for another soup.
Our favorite parts of the meal were the turkey and this lovely sweet potato casserole unlike any sweet potato casserole you've ever had. Yum! Alli would say that the pumpkin pie I made was her favorite part, but I don't count that since she was so excited to leave for black friday shopping that she never ate the pie until friday morning. I don't know how we forgot about the pie, but we did.
I loved the opportunity to spend so much time with Allison this past week. Although we were running around like crazy most of the weekend, it was nice to have a best friend to spend each thanksgiving memory with.

No comments:

Post a Comment